Chefs Collaborative members do amazing work every day – check out our weekly members news link round-up to see what’s going on around the country:
- This Pork Loin Sandwich Starts With Happy Pigs (Catherine Welch, npr, 8.31.13) Matt Jennings provides insight into how he sources the meat for his pork loin sandwich with chimichurri.
- Urban Gardening Tips from Evan Hanczor (Sarah Zorn, The L Magazine, 9.11.13) Evan Hanczor gives gardening advice to those constrained by city living who want to maximize their produce yield while minimizing their waste.
- New Orleans Restaurateur Donald Link Connects with Fishermen (Gulf Seafood Institute, PerishableNews.com, 9.11.13) Donald Link, Board member Stephen Stryjewski, and Ryan Prewitt connect with seafood businesses.
- 7 Must-See Events at CHS Wine + Food Festival (Erin Perkins, Eater Charleston, 9.12.13) Look out for chefs Michael Anthony, Mike Lata, and Steven Satterfield at the BB&T Charleston Wine + Food Festival.
- The Kirkland Tap & Trotter Opens Tonight (Rachel Leah Blumenthal, Eater Boston, 9.16.13) Tony Maws opens a new restaurant in Somerville with a focus on nose-to-tail dining.
- Top Shelf: Chicago chefs release new cookbooks (Anthony Todd, TimeOut Chicago, 9.16.13) Board member Paul Fehribach will release The Little Big Jones Cookbook in early 2014.
- In Pursuit of Tastier Chicken, a Strict Diet of Four-Star Scraps (Jeff Gordinier, New York Times, 9.16.13) Michael Anthony feeds his chicken with style.
- Mod Mex: The State of Mexican Cuisine (Matt Kirouac, diningchicago.com, 9.17.13) Founding member Rick Bayless cooks up modern Mexican cuisine with local ingredients at an event.
- Cochon’s Donald Link on What Draws Him to Nashville, Potential Restaurant Expansion (Matt Roger, Eater Nashville, 9.17.13) Donald Link touches on The Fatback Pig Project and supporting small farmers and their quality hogs.
- Sketchy food policy: Exploring our broken food system in cartoons (Nathanael Johnson, Grist, 9.17.13) A commentary on Marion Nestle’s newest book, Eat Drink Vote.
- Root to Stem — How Changing the Way We Thinking About Food Can Reduce Waste (Anthony Fassio, The Huffington Post, 9.17.13) CC member, CEO of the Natural Gourmet Institute, and Chair of Slow Food NYC, Anthony Fassio, writes about decreasing food waste.
- Atlanta chef battles back from cancer by eating fresh, locally grown fruits and vegetables (Helena Oliviero, The Daily Gazette, 9.18.13) Atlanta Local leader Steven Satterfield discusses how a sustainable diet affected his recovery from cancer treatments.
- Open Table: Cambridge’s High-Powered Restaurant World (Leslie B. Arffa, The Harvard Crimson, 9.18.13) Jody Adams and Ana Sortun discuss Cambridge fine dining, as well as sustainability and the formation of Chefs Collaborative.
- A Quest for Freshness at Hunts Point Fish Market (Erling Wu-Bower, The Huffington Post, 9.19.13) Chef Erling Wu-Bower describes his experience at a New York fish market.
- Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams receives Lakeview retail food establishment license (Bentley Hibbard, Chicago Development News, 9.19.13) Jeni Britton Bauer will open a new establishment and maintain her commitment to local ingredients in her ice cream, sorbet, and frozen yogurt.
- Bristol Team Joining Boka Group Again For Upcoming ‘Meat-Centric Restaurant’ (Daniel Gerzina, Eater Chicago, 9.19.13) Chris Pandel will open a new restaurant that will source from local farms.
- Chef Michael Leviton: Cheap Food ‘Is Actually Killing Us (Robin Young and Jeremy Hobson, Here & Now 90.9 WBUR, 9.20.13) Board Chair Michael Leviton is interviewed about his views on sustainability and food policy.
- Chef Hugh Acheson finds inspiration through food (Lynne Morioka, Taste of General Mills, 9.20.13) Acheson describes how local foods have impacted him on a trip to the General Mills headquarters.
- Ocean acidification alters Pacific food web (Steve Brown, The Daily Astorian, 9.20.13) Member Eric Swenson of the Global Ocean Health Program stresses the importance of protecting our seafood sources from increasing acidification.
- Westport Chef Cooks Up A Storm On New PBS Show (Eric Gendron, Westport Daily Voice, 9.21.13) Chef Bill Taibe was among those challenged to create meal for a large group using only fresh, local ingredients in a limited amount of time for “Moveable Feast with Fine Cooking.”
- Best Place to Eat Your Veggies: Miller Union (Best of ATL, Creative Loafing Atlanta, 2013 Oral Pleasures) Atlanta Local leader Steven Satterfield is praised for the seasonal delights at Miller Union.
Sustainability-focused events our members were involved in this past week:
- 35th Annual Shelburne Farms Harvest Festival (Shelburne Farms, September 21),
- The First Annual National Eat Local Day (Sarah Stegner, George Bumbaris, Board member Paul Fehribach, Jamie Leeds,and founding members Rick Bayless, Nora Pouillon, and Alice Waters, September 22)
- Taste of the Maze: Wine and Corn Festival (Schartner Farms, September 22).
Posted by: Poster Person